A Note About This Blog

The opinions and experiences expressed in this blog are solely my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Peace Corps or the U.S. government.

Yo! Help Haiti!

Yéle Haiti - Wyclef Jean's foundation
Donation by Text Message - It's easy! Click this MSNBC article to see a list of organizations and phone carriers.
Salvation Army
Red Cross



Monday, February 22, 2010

Girls, Girls, Girls!


I spent this weekend with 20 lovely young ladies and 10 other Volunteers at a girls empowerment camp.  We had a lot of fun doing charlas about teen pregnancy, HIV/AIDS, gender roles, gossip as well as a mask painting art activity, dancing, swimming, and singing around a campfire while cooking S’mores.  Yum!
I was inspired by the camp.  I taught the charla on teen pregnancy, emphasizing to these girls that they have the power to say “No,” to demand contraceptives, to wait to have sex.  I gave each girl a “pregnancy test” (a popsicle stick with either a plus or minus) and told them that their lives were about to change.  What are they going to do if they’re pregnant?  After the results were handed out, we had a discussion about the consequences of one mistake, one night, and we discussed how they would care for a baby, how their futures would change, and then we discussed how they can prevent pregnancy for real.  As I was telling them how strong they are, how beautiful and powerful they are, I realized that this is what I want to do.  I want to start some youth groups and really help inspire teenagers in my community to make healthy decisions.  
I brought two girls, and I asked them if they had fun after the camp.  They both smiled widely.  I asked my host-cousin, who was a little reluctant about going because she's so shy, if she made any new friends.  She said she made 18 good, new friends... Mission accomplished.
I had spent the weekend laughing and feeling a sense of purpose.  I really cared, and it was magical.

(Pics to come soon, I hope!  Si Dios quiere...)

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! :) I'm so happy that you're defining what you want to do. This sounds like a beautiful experience :)

    ReplyDelete