A Note About This Blog

The opinions and experiences expressed in this blog are solely my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Peace Corps or the U.S. government.

Yo! Help Haiti!

Yéle Haiti - Wyclef Jean's foundation
Donation by Text Message - It's easy! Click this MSNBC article to see a list of organizations and phone carriers.
Salvation Army
Red Cross



Sunday, January 3, 2010

Back to Reality

First of all, happy new year, everyone!  I hope 2010 is full of exciting experiences for you all.

For Christmas, I went back to Florida to indulge in the luxuries of American life.  And indulge, I did.  I basically slept, ate, hung out with friends and family, ate, watched TV while using the internet on my laptop, ate, took long hot showers, and ate.  I felt like I was on "vacation" even though I was really at home with my family.

Food was the highlight of my trip.  I remember the very first thing I ate in America - a yummy Publix roast beef sub.  I even remember the glorious first bite..... Ahhh.  I made a mental food checklist that I had to fulfill, and thanks to my wonderful friends and family, I completed it!  Caesar arugula salad, BBQ ribs, steak and potatoes, Mexican, Thai, Japanese Hibachi, roasted garlic hummus, lots of chocolate, Mountain Dew, sweet tea, pizza, Chick-fil-A...  Yes, these things may be old news to you, my Stateside readers, but to me, every meal was memorable.  Now that I'm back on the island, I must consume the usual rice, beans, chicken, yucca, platano, etc...  America really does have a variety of flavors and cuisines, and I hadn't realize how food-deprived I had felt until I took that first bite in that scrumptious Publix sub.

I was a little worried about how I would feel returning to the States with my new single woman status.  Sasha and I had spent a lot of time in Florida (we were from the same town), so of course there are a lot of memories there.  However, I am proud to say that I felt good overall.  It was great to spend time with my friends and family.  I spoke to him a couple times on the phone while I was there.  It felt good, a little strange, but good to talk to him.  Maybe I felt a little closure... and now I feel that I'm ready to move on.  More adventures await me...  Who knows what will happen on this little island.

I came back to the Island (as I came to call it while at home) four days ago.  I left my house at 4 in the morning.  It was a little chilly by Florida standards.  My family stood outside shivering and hugging me.  I cried.  I wasn't ready to leave.  Life was just so good there.  But I got on the plane and spent the entire day making my way to my site.  When I arrived, I was greeted by several friends waiting at my house, cooking dinner.  It was the best homecoming ever. 

I spent a magical New Year's on the beach with my awesome friends (though we were missing quite a few people who remained in the States.  Ustedes me hacen falta).  I'm very honored to have such great friends.  I feel loved here.

While I was in Florida, I got so wrapped up in the easy life.  I wanted Florida, the USA, to be my reality.  But it wasn't right.  It's not meant to be at this moment.

The U.S. was just a dream.  My reality is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment