A Note About This Blog

The opinions and experiences expressed in this blog are solely my own and do not reflect those of the U.S. Peace Corps or the U.S. government.

Yo! Help Haiti!

Yéle Haiti - Wyclef Jean's foundation
Donation by Text Message - It's easy! Click this MSNBC article to see a list of organizations and phone carriers.
Salvation Army
Red Cross



Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Dominican Winter = Mucha Lluvia

So I know most of you americanos stateside are suffering from a cold front.  We aren’t necessarily “cold” here, but we are wet and chilly.  I actually put a blanket on my bed (normally, Dominicans sleep with only a sheet because it’s so hot)!

For the past week, there has been a dreary rainstorm, day and night.  It’s certainly not helping with the motivation. It's killing my mood.  Where are you, happy sun?   Normally, when it rains here, people leave work early or don’t attend class.  Today’s my first day back teaching English class, so we will see how it all turns out.
It’s a new year, and now it’s time to implement new projects.  The last couple months were lax for me because of the holidays and the personal time I needed to get through my rough period.  But now I’m back, and I have ideas, tons of them. 
I’m adjusting back to pueblo life gradually.  The Spanish is slow in coming.  Doesn’t help that I spoke only English for the past month.  So I’ll need some time to get myself back into the groove, but right now, I’m a confused mess in the linguistics department.  I’ve been hanging out with my host family a little more, catching up with them.
I’m getting used to the food again – rice, beans, salad, and chicken.  While spending some time with other Volunteers after my return from the States, I learned some new exciting recipes.  So I’m going to experiment with my food a little.  I want to eat healthier.  Maybe once I finish my service, I’ll be a great chef.  As we say here, vamos a ver (we shall see…).
Regarding relations, things are much warmer here.  People have been glad to see me.  My host family hugged me tightly, going on about how they missed me, and asking about my family allá (over there).  While I was in the States, I noticed a certain kind of rigidity among people who are mere acquaintances.  Though it is our cultural standard, I was a little surprised.  I think I’ve integrated in the Dominican culture more than I originally though.  When you meet someone here or when you greet a friend, you exchange cheek kisses and a half-embrace.  Dominican people accept you immediately.  All the introductory handshakes I did in the States seemed so unnatural to me.
Here goes to readjusting and reintegrating…. It’s a new year, the perfect opportunity to start anew.  Sixteen months left… Let’s see where this adventure will take me.

**Also, my fine friends, notice that I put up a translator gadget in my sidebar for your translating convenience. **

No comments:

Post a Comment